Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Joe Walker, RKC


Last weekend, I completed one of the most rewarding and challenging experiences of my life--I became an RKC on my birthday. For those unfamiliar with what an RKC Certification is go here: http://www.dragondoor.com/wpkb33.html.
Almost a year ago to the day I became an RKC, my copy of Pavel's Enter the Kettlebell arrived at my door. Needless to say, it changed my life. It gave me the foundation to find strength I never thought I had. The Cert. weekend completely humbled me and taught me a valuable lesson about embracing personal weaknesses. Too often we run away from things that make us uncomfortable, without using the opportunity to make ourselves stronger. And boy did I find a lot of reasons to get stronger!

I'd like to thank David Whitley, Senior RKC (he one-arm presses people); Jen Morey, Asst. RKC (she once did 142 16kg snatches with one hand); and Mike Juve, Asst. RKC for their patience, superb instruction, and tough love--I'm a better girevik because of you fine people. I would also like to extend a big thank you to all of my Team Whitley Teammates--it was a lot easier knowing you were hurting too. I honestly can't remember everyone, there was a lot going through my head that weekend, but special thanks go to Big Dog Paul (my partner, ride, and source of better judgement in KB choice), Dustin (the humble strongman, model RKC), Mike (the runner), Amy (for the vote and the Whitley picture), and Wendi for her vote. For those who don't know what I mean by "vote," it's not important. I would also like to thank my victims for allowing me to train them on Sunday--they did great! Most of all, I would like to thank my wife for all of her support leading up to and during this weekend.

If you are considering going for RKC Certification, don't hesitate. You won't be disappointed. Learning from Pavel, the DuCanes, and the rest of the finest RKCs in the world is more than worth the price of admission. Most of all, you'll never be able to put a price on the experience and memories gained in those few days.


1 comment:

Amy Jurrens said...

The other woman = Wendi Neal